DIY: DYE HARD PT. 2

diy bleach tie dye
How to tie dye with bleach~

Supplies:
Vibrant or dark shirts that are not polyester or a poly blend
Rubber bands
Bleach, dye, dye bottles
(Or a tie dye kit like this with my fave colors)
Plastic bags
Easily accessible sink or tub
Gloves
A well-ventilated space

How to:
Get that shirt soaked in water. Bleach and dye work better with damp fabric. Lay the shirt on a flat surface and pinch the fabric in the center of the shirt and begin twisting it until the entire shirt is a round spiral. Secure using one or two rubber bands. 
*Before interacting with bleach, please wear gloves.* 
Place the shirt into a plastic bag, a grocery bag will do, and apply bleach. I suggest pouring the bleach into a smaller dye bottle, like the ones that come in the kit, to better control where the bleach goes and how much is used. Take the bag out into the sunshine. The warmth and light help the bleach work faster. Sometimes it can only a few minutes to remove color. When the shirt has been lightened to the desired color, remove it from the plastic bag and thoroughly rinse it out. If you’re happy with the design, run it through the washing machine and wear.

If you want to jazz it up, add new and different colors. Lay the shirt flat again and make the spiral design and then apply dye or add the dye wherever and however you please. I put it in another plastic bag, not the one with bleach, add the color I want and then let it sit in the sun to dry. Sometimes I even leave it overnight for more saturated colors. Then rinse it again until the water runs clear. Wash and wear.

In these photos:
I used bleach to lighten the pink and green shirts. I did try to add some color back, but it just didn’t stick. Probably because I didn’t leave it long enough. The black tank is bleach + color. In Outfit #75, I wore a shirt that I bleach tie-dyed. I have around five different shirts that I’ve done and I love ‘em all.  Read DYE HARD pt. 1 here.
diy bleach tie dye
diy bleach tie dye diy bleach tie dye diy bleach tie dye diy bleach tie dye diy bleach tie dye diy bleach tie dye diy bleach tie dye diy bleach tie dye diy bleach tie dye

Comments

  1. Wow...this is looks so cool dear and great job. Thanks for sharing this DIY.
    Kintan xo,
    http://kintanfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see again...I haven't tried this since after high school....would love to attempt it again when I'm a bit free

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You definitely should. It's super fun.

      Delete
  3. Oooh looks fab! Haven't seen these in so many years :-) cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I used to love tie dye when I was younger. Perhaps I should give it a try again, not sure mine would look that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure it would! Besides, it takes practice. If you do try it, share it! :)

      Delete
  5. I couldn't imagine it would be so easy. I thought it was complicated and needed so much time to have this trendy shirt. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy. You just have to be careful with the bleach. Thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  6. Very detailed and so straight to the point. It has been ages since I have done tie and dye but I love this. Will try it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! And please do! It's so much fun.

      Delete
  7. This looks super fun! I usually never do anything fun with my clothes, when it's old I give it away or something, when it's new I take super care of it. So lame, I know. This looks super easy to do, I should give it try! New Year, new me! (don't mind it's August).
    B, xx | http://www.queenbsdiary.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I can relate! I just dyed some old shirts I never wear hoping to bring new life to them. We'll see! :)

      Delete
  8. How cool! I've often wondered about the (what I call) hippy dye. Looks simple enough - even I coudl do it!
    Katja xxx
    www.katnapped.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I like the name hippy dye. That's pretty fun. And you certainly could do it! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You rock.

Popular posts from this blog

How to: Dry Flowers (and what to do with them)

D.I.Y.Crayon Candles

Recent work // October