Book & Nail: High Fidelity

Book & Nail: High Fideliy Book & Nail: High Fideliy There is no better book to read before going to a music festival than High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. Published in 1995 the book maintains an undeniable insight to our relationships with the media we consume and the life we live.

In middle school I would listen to Cassadaga by Bright Eyes feeling like music understood me. An over-dramatic 7th grader. But it’s still one of those defining albums in my life, one that I will cherish forever. High Fidelity gave me the opportunity to look at my relationship with music and even more complexly, my relationship with relationships.
“What came first—the music or the misery? Did I listen to music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to music?” –pg 24-25
High Fidelity follows Rob, a record store owner, as he tries to understand his current relationship (or whatever is left of it) by retracing every failed relationship in his past. He wants to know, “What do I keep doing wrong? Why don’t people love me?” Not to spoil the plot, but he finds out.
“It feels as though I’ve come to the end of the line. I don’t mean that in the American rock ‘n’ roll suicide sense; I mean it in the English Thomas the Tank Engine sense. I’ve run out of puff, and come to a gentle halt in the middle of nowhere.” – pg 225
Along the way is cheeky dialogue, internal self-deprecating musings, and band after band you’ll have to look up. Rob is perpetually stuck inside his own mind. Those who have seen the film adaption of this novel might remember John Cusack looking straight into the camera to deliver analysis after analysis. The book is similar in its direct approach, but manages to provide, seemingly by accident, a life lesson every person should learn: don’t fixate on yourself.
“People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared when that some sort of culture violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands—literally thousands—of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most; and I don’t know whether pop music has caused this unhappiness, but I do know that they’ve been listening to the sad songs longer than they’ve been living unhappy lives.” – pg 25
Rob can only begin to see himself through the people around him. He makes a tremendous effort at figuring everything out on his own, but he needs people. He needs their eyes and insights and understanding. Even through music and the perspective of musicians he is able to know better himself. To see inside his own life he has to look through other people. For a person to know themselves on their own it would take more than two (probably more like ten) eyes.Book & Nail: High Fideliy
What I used:

First: Base color. I did two alternating colors that would contrast well with bright orange.

Second: Create a half moon. Some people like to use reinforcement circle stickers, but I can’t ever make that work. For me free hand is easier. Use the nail brush or a smaller brush to draw a arch and fill in. Just take it slow.

Third: Dot your eyes. Using a dotting tool create a bright pupil. In retrospect I would have made the pupils bigger. Also I might have done one off center for some sassy side eye. 

Fourth: Use a straight edge brush and outline the eyes. I did mine similar to how you would use the dotting tool, one line at a time connecting them over the arch. This method was especially helpful when using my left hand. I created the eyelashes using the same method.

Fifth: Top coat to protect and make it shiny. Use a brush dipped in nail polish remover to clean those edges. 
Book & Nail: High FideliyBook & Nail: High Fideliy Book & Nail: High Fideliy Book & Nail: High Fideliy Book & Nail: High Fideliy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outfit # 62: Remember Why

Outfit # 61: Opportunity Cost

How to: Pressed flowers before & after