DIY Nail: In Print

    Holy cow, you guys. I cannot express to you how excited I am for this nail design to come into being, and not only does it actually exist, but it looks pretty good too. I'm going to a newspaper convention next weekend so this is the perfect opportunity to do a newspaper nail. Here's what I used and how I did it:
Supplies: 
STEP 1: Base coat. I used A True Romantic. It took like four coats to get it opaque enough, so I let it dry over night before moving to the next steps.
STEP 2: Get a small bowl of rubbing alcohol and cut up some newspaper. I used an article that I wrote for our college newspaper, so these are literally my words on my nails... how trippy is that?! Anyway, dip nail into the rubbing alcohol for a couple of seconds, 10-15, and then press a strip of newspaper over the nail firmly. The duration of the press only has to be a couple of seconds before gently peeling off newspaper.
    I even got my name from the paper on my middle finger! It's backward, but it's there!
STEP 3: Apply top coat to newspaper print. Be sure to have a good amount of clear coat on the nail brush before applying. If the brush doesn't have very much polish on it, it will smear the print.
STEP 4: Use a q-tip dipped in nail polish remover to remove excess print from skin. Or you could leave the faded print as an artistic statement on the gradual disappearance of print media. Whichever works for you.
STEP 5:  I added a crackle polish to my thumbs.
STEP 6: For a little bonus I put a stud on both my pinky nails! I thought it was going to be more difficult, but it was super easy. All you have to do is apply a clear coat, stick on the stud, let it dry for a bit, and do a top coat.
    One thing I love about nail design is how creative people get with it. I mean, there's a whole magazine devoted to nail art. I like painting my nails, combining designs and techniques. It's just another way to incorporate good design into your life. So anyway, while your here you might as well check out the cover story of The Stallion newspaper. And if you're looking for more tutorials, check out some of mine here.

Comments

  1. Wow that looks amazing. My nails have been peeling so badly I've given up polish for a few weeks to a month.

    www.highheelsandtutus.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You rock.

Popular posts from this blog

Personal essay // Not a master of what, but who

Watch // Four films that will haunt you

DIY // Alien T Shirt