Recently Read: Brida, Gathering Blue & Paper Towns

    Here is the fiction portion of the books I received for Christmas. Two of them I read before and wanted to re-read. Reading is such a great escape. Sometimes while I'm reading the words will blur and all I'll see and know is the story. I often have remembered a particular scene or line from a book and mistook it for a movie. Where is that scene from? I know I've seen it! Then it hits me like a snowball to the face that the moving or startling scene that has been haunting me all day is actually from a book. Reading is magical like that.
Brida by Paulo Coelho: This is one of the best books I have ever checked out from a public library. I liked it so much that I kept it way too long and I made my mom drive by the library at night, so the librarians wouldn't judge me. It was sort of like a drive-by except I was haphazardly tossing books into the nighttime return bin. But anyway, I would say that this book is mystifying.  It follows the young Brida, based off of the real life Brida, as she finds her way through the world of spiritual wonder and witchcraft. Witches are commonly associated with cauldrons and nose moles, but this books redefines witches. Brida's path is one that leads her to connection with the world and people around her. Coelho is a master at depicting sincerity. I never once found him vulgar or inappropriate even though he covers heavy spiritual, physical, and emotional topics. I fell in love with this book when I read the first time and I have again this time around. It's a book that makes me look at the world again. It makes me question and wonder. A book that can do that in a masterful way is a good book to me. 
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry: I have a habit of requesting books that I read in elementary school. This is one of them. The library at my elementary school was huge and round. It had a shockingly tall green abstract plant structure that stretched to the tops where the skylights were. I remember roaming the shelves for new and interesting stories. Gathering Blue had a beautiful cover, not the one pictured, and I knew I had to get it. I remember liking it in elementary school, but I had no idea what it was about. I put it on my list anyway. Since then Lois Lowry and I have become familiar. I read Gossamer and The Giver before meeting this book again. Lois Lowry has a unique voice. Her stories are told simply and startlingly. There is manipulation, violence, and lies in this book and the reader is challenged to recognize why. Lois Lowry has been able to move my elementary school self and my college self, and even though I was able to figure out some of the plot, I was still totally awed at her ability to cover so much of the human experience so simply. She is one talented writer and I'll read anything with her name on it. 
Paper Towns by John Green: John Green has a distinguishable voice. His writing is clever and witty and cool. I liked this book. It took some turns that I did not predict, which I always like. Overall, I wasn't totally blown away and I wouldn't use the phrase "profoundly moving", but it was an enjoyable read. It had some metaphors that I could appreciate and ponder. I like reading his books because I know they will have the ability to make me laugh and make me question. And honestly, I 'll probably read anything he writes. I like his voice and his characters. 
Side Note: I just want to say that I think my aesthetic can basically be summed up by Lara Croft Tomb Raider riding a brass rocking horse. See what I'm reading now here.

Comments

  1. I've never read any of those but will sure put it on my list.
    I noticed you got four of the Mortal Instrument books. i thought there were only three? I will have to look out for the foruth one.

    xoxo
    Ivy
    http://www.purrpleivy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There are actually 5 mortal instruments books! It's hard to keep up with all these series of books... it's like there's a new series out everyday. lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You rock.

Popular posts from this blog

Recent work // October

DIY // Resources to build your blog

How to: Dry Flowers (and what to do with them)