Judging a Book: The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls


By its cover: Haunting and simple. A perfect match for the story.

By how it's experienced: The Silver Star is like driving by lit houses at night. I look in through the windows searching for signs of life, the flashing blue of a TV screen or shadowy figures dancing over closed shades. If the shades are up, I look in like a scientist would while studying microbes through a microscope. But, before I can even digest what I see, the scene passes me by. The house, and the life within it, existed before I got there and will continue to after I leave. The Silver Star left me feeling an incompleteness that only a life form can experience. I found myself having that primal desire for more. More drama and more story once it ended. All I got was this sampling of the lives of two girls and their dysfunctional family (as to be expected from Walls author of The Glass Castle) when I wanted the whole course. A story written so simply and honestly is pure torture for the human being, but it is also nurtures the inner human child, where justice is served and purity and innocence are real. 

A Summary from Amazon:
It is 1970 in a small town in California. “Bean” Holladay is twelve and her sister, Liz, is fifteen when their artistic mother, Charlotte, a woman who “found something wrong with every place she ever lived,” takes off to find herself, leaving her girls enough money to last a month or two. When Bean returns from school one day and sees a police car outside the house, she and Liz decide to take the bus to Virginia, where their Uncle Tinsley lives in the decaying mansion that’s been in Charlotte’s family for generations.
TL;DR: Good book about innocence and justice and family. 

Popular posts from this blog

Recent work // October

DIY // Resources to build your blog

How to: Dry Flowers (and what to do with them)