DIY: Egg Centerpiece for Easter (Or for any other reason)


I wanted to do my own spin on egg crafts this Easter. We don't really decorate and hide eggs anymore, so I wanted to do something reminiscent of those nostalgic Easter activities. I mixed two tutorials to make this. I'll link to the original posts, give you a break down of the basics, and give some advice. Let's do this.


This is the original egg sculpture post by Mr. Printables. They used craft clay as the base, but I didn't have any, so I made some. The egg dumping / hole puncturing is better explained here. Take inspiration from their decorated eggs! 

This is the original salt dough post that I used for the base. Just know that this mixture yielded a lot more dough than I needed. Use this as an opportunity to make magnets and jewelry and sculptures etc. 


What you need for the eggs:
  • Eggs (How many depends on how big you want to go. I used seven.)
  • Paint and Paint Brushes
  • Small Feathers
  • Steak Knife 
  • Skewers 
  • Tooth Picks
  • Hot Glue Gun (potentially optional)
Basically what you do to the Eggs:
  1. Punch a small whole on the top and bottom of the egg using steak knife. 
  2. Use the skewer to stab the egg yolk until it breaks for easy draining.
  3. Optional: I really didn't want to drain the eggs and throw the insides away. That's just not economical! So we stored the innards of our eggs in Tupperware to use the next morning. If you want to store the eggs longer than overnight, be careful and do some research. Egg storing can get pretty complicated. 
  4. Rinse the inside with water and make sure your holes are big enough for the skewer to go through.
  5. Paint you eggs! Go crazy!
  6. Now you need to determine what pattern your egg sculpture will be. I used the classic short, tall, short. 
  7. Cut your skewers down until they are the desired size. I used scissors and worked them around the skewer to try and prevent splinters. (I also painted my skewers, but you can't even see it.) You can see where I tested lengths and egg pattern below. 
  8. Make base (instructions below) 
  9. Justice League Assemble!!! Assemble your structure like the magnificent artwork it is. I hot glued some of my eggs together because I didn't want them to 1) spin around and 2) look too lopsided. 


What you need to make the base for the eggs:
  • 1/2 Cup Salt
  • 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • Paper 
  • Hot glue
Basically what you do to make the base:
  1. Mix salt-dough ingredients
  2. Knead dough
  3. Shape to desired size
  4. Use skewer to puncture hole for stand
  5. Bake (200 degrees for 2 hours) or Microwave (15 second intervals)
  6. Once dough is cool, glue to a square for optimal stabilization 


For the extra fluff at the bottom:
  1. Buy earth friendly cheap coffee filters
  2. Cut in half
  3. Cut slits down the edge
  4. Cut across the filter to make confetti 
  5. Use real rocks or fake rocks to cover the paper base of the egg sculpture to add weight and cuteness


Other advice:
  • On the Mama Bird Egg I only had one hole at the base.
  • I stuck feathers in the top of the outside eggs to make them more precious and glamorous.
  • On the blue/gold egg and green/gold egg I used the same technique in this textured nail diy.
  • Don't feel ashamed if your holes are huge. Mine were big and unless you get up-close-and-personal you can't see them. Or you can stick more feathers into those holes. You know what, just stick all the feathers into all the holes! lol. 



I started this project the day I got my wisdom teeth extracted. My mom and I stood in the kitchen gutting eggs that night while I had bloody gauze in my mouth. lol. To be fair, I was hopped-up on medicine. Also, she painted the Mama bird. Way to go, Mom! Now we have this pretty awesome display set up on our bar and it definitely brings a little bit of light into our lives. 


If you make something similar to or inspired by this project please share in the comments! I'd love to link up to it on my weekend Best of the Internet post! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outfit # 61: Opportunity Cost

Outfit # 62: Remember Why

Book & Nail: Room by Emma Donoghue