Defining Christianity

   Recall every person you saw today. See their faces, their clothing, their personalities. Are any of them exactly alike? Are any of them similar? I probably saw around two hundred faces today and I don't remember any of them looking or seeming in the least bit alike. So, why is it commonly assumed that every Christian is the same? Our beliefs are as varied as our personalities. No two Christians are the same, even if they are in the same denomination. I'm sure that my definition of Christianity is different from yours, whether your a Christian or not. 

   I believe in a Cross. And a God. And a Lord. And a Holy Spirit. You, however, may not. Our differences, however vast they may be, will not stop me from loving you. And that's it. I'm not going to hold you down until you submit to being a Christian. That's ridiculous! I have been charged with loving every person I encounter. So I earnestly try to. But you should know, I am, by no means, capable of a perfect love. I try. I try everyday, but I make big mistakes. I say the wrong things, I judge others. I am one screwed up individual. But I still try.

   As a Christian, I want everyone to experience the richest, most rewarding life possible. I believe that's only achieved through loving and knowing God. So when I talk to someone about my faith, that's the first thing I want them to know. I want them to be happy and amazing and strong. I want, what I believe, is the best for all individuals. Christianity isn't a game to me. I'm not trying to get the highest score of converts. I just want you to know, purely and simply, that I love you and because I love you I want you to have what I have. That's it. And perhaps the reason some Christians seem so... determined to save others it's because that what they believe they're doing. They are literally trying to save you. To Christians, it is life or death. To me, it is life or death. I don't want any person ever, in a million years, to go to Hell. I wouldn't wish that or say that to anyone. I want you to feel and know perfect love, something that human beings can't share because we are incapable of perfect love! I wish we weren't incapable, but we screw up. I screw up, all the time.

   I know I can't save every person I meet, but I at least want them to know that I care. Never will I turn my back on someone who disagrees with me. I will treat every person with dignity and respect because we are all human beings. If we don't respect each other, who will? To the people who I believe I cannot save, I pray that someone else will be able to. I pray that God will reach them.

   I wish I understood all of this sooner, I think of all the things I could have said and all the things I should have said. I've messed up a lot. I'm so sorry.

   I just want you to know that you are blessed. You are so blessed. To be alive. To have woken up this morning. To be an individual in this world that is complex, scary, beautiful. To be able to to do anything in this life. You are blessed. Recollect again all those people you saw today. Reflect on each of them with love in your heart. Sometimes, it can be hard, but please, please, try.



One thing God has spoken, two things I have heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.
Psalm 61: 11-12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outfit # 62: Remember Why

Looking back // 2017 #Goals

Holiday Treats: Stir and Drop Sugar Cookies // Chocolate Chip Crisco Cake