Outfit # 4: Civil Rights

I tried out a new spot for pictures and for the most part I think they look really good! Except things are totally blurry. Agh! That's so frustrating. You live, you learn.


We had an interesting discussion in my American Government class about Civil Rights. I thought we were going to go back into the 60's and 70's, because when someone says Civil Rights that's what you think about, right? Or is that just me? I think that's one of the most inspiring times in American history. Establishing equality for all people has taken a long time and to see video clips and read stories about the people that really fought for their rights is incredible. They should't have had to fight for their rights in the first place, but it is still amazing what they did.
Anyway, in class we talked about modern Civil Rights. We focused on immigrants, legal and illegal. Our teacher asked us why we thought illegal immigrants were coming into our country and how we felt about them. I raised my hand and said that I wouldn't want to raise my children in such a dangerous environment. And when those pregnant women come onto American soil what their really doing is escaping for their children. I can't blame them for wanting a better future for their child, who would? I did say I think the government and the people need help and we should help them. But, I don't know how.
It was an interesting discussion. I know there are a lot of things that I don't know or understand about illegal and legal immigration, but I don't mine learning more. 


We also watched this video. It's about how diversified one town has become in Georgia and how that affects politics. One part that really stuck out to me was that some of these older immigrants had never voted. They didn't know what it was or what to do. They talked about how excited they were to vote. That's so awesome. I'm proud that our country is becoming still more diversified and I think that it is important that we know and understand each other. Different cultures brings new ideas, it makes our country stronger.  

Sweater- Gift, Skirt- Peebles, Tights- Kmart, Boots- The shoe department, Necklace- can't remember, Earrings- gift

So about this ensemble. It is warm and toasty and comfy. My only hitch was that my skirt kept sticking to my tights, so it looked kind of awkward when I was walking. I just had to power through. 





What do you like most about different cultures or what have you learned from different cultures?

P.S. Feel free to follow through Blogger (on the right sidebar) or Bloglovin or by e-mail so you can stay updated on new posts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outfit # 61: Opportunity Cost

Outfit # 62: Remember Why

Book & Nail: Room by Emma Donoghue