DIY Woven Bracelet


   I was thinking about asking for a loom for Christmas, (what? I'm not too old for a Christmas list...) but I wanted to try it out some other way before actually buying a loom. I mean, I wanted to know whether or not I'd enjoy it all. Then, lo and behold, I stumbled across this tutorial on how to weave on a cardboard loom. This was the perfect practice session! Plus I made some nice warm and cozy bracelets for fall and winter.
Enough of the blabber, let's weave.
Here's what you'll need:
  • Two different colored yarns
  • Cardboard or cereal box
  • Scissors
  • Ruler


Step 1: Cut your cardboard or cereal box down to 3x9.25 inches. Then mark and cut 1/4 inch along the sides of the cardboard about 1/2 inch deep.


Step 2: Take your base color and wedge it into the first slit. Leave about a 3 to 6 inch tail.


Step 3: Stretch string to the other side in the first slot. Then wrap yarn round the back to the next slit and stretch across.

Front
Back
Step 4:  Repeat until all the slits are full.

First weave
Second weave back down
Step 5: With your second piece of yarn start weaving under-over-under. I didn't measure how much yarn I used of the second color, so I suggest cut off more than you think you need. It's really easy to estimate, so don't stress! There's no problem if you have too much.

Half-way through
All done!
Step 6: Weave, weave, weave. As you weave pull it tight. The tighter you pull the skinnier the bracelet will be. You can see here that my weaving gets really narrow and then widens. Learn from my mistake and try to keep it the same width.



Step 7: Carefully remove the loops from the cardboard.

Through the first loop
Through second loop
Step 8: Use the loose pink strand to weave back through the loops.


Step 9: Pull the pink string tight!


Step 10: Tie the pink and black strands into knot. Repeat steps 8 through 10 on the other side.



Step 11: Wrap around wrist and tie all four strands into a knot. The yarn is a bit flexible, so your bracelet should be secure when on, but also capable of easily sliding over your hand.

Step 12: Cut the excess strands off to desired length. I wanted to keep mine a bit longer, but cut it as short as you want!


I really love these bracelets. They're like scarves for your wrists. I'm thinking of using a different kind of yarn next time or adding some beading. These could really be spruced up in all kinds of ways!

And that loom is definitely going on my Christmas list. This was fun.

PS: Feel free to follow through Blogger (on the right sidebar) or Bloglovin or by e-mail so you can stay updated on new posts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outfit # 62: Remember Why

Looking back // 2017 #Goals

How to: Pressed flowers before & after