D.I.Y.Crayon Candles

There were a lot of crayon D.I.Y.s going around the interwebs and I wanted to try one. I had a lot of fun doing this project and I learned A LOT about making candles. Throughout this here post I'm going to give you some major tips on how to make good, sustainable candles from crayons. I made some mistakes, but I want you to know what I now know.
Cool? Cool. Let's get started.

Here is what you will need:
  • Old crayons
  • Small mason jars
  • Wicks
  • Pot with boiling water
  • Cleaned out can
  • Plastic Spoon
  • Pliers
  • Wax Paper
  • Plate
  • Knife and Cutting Board




First: Get all your crayons naked. Rip that paper off your crayons. I had quite a pile when I finished.


Second: Separate all your crayons into the color scheme you would like for your candles.


Third: Dump crayons into bowl. Because now you have to prep your jar...


Forth: Glue candle wick into jar. You can use a simple hot glue, just so it will stay in place when pouring in wax. 


Fifth: Cut up crayons. You want the crayons in small slices so they'll melt quickly. If they are left in sizable chunks then it takes a long while for them to melt. To cut these without making a ridiculous mess get a cutting board and cover it with a paper towel. That way you don't have crayon residue stuck to your cutting board.




Sixth: Dump crayons in can. I used this in place of melting bags and it worked amazingly.


Seventh: Have stations ready. I set my candle on wax paper laid over a plastic plate opposite my boiling water. I also have my plastic spoon resting there for stirring the crayons.


Eighth: So now you can see my full set-up. I used the can and boiling water as a make-shift double boiler. I used pliers to hold the can. Pretty simple, right? When your crayons are melting pour in a dash of essential oil to add some amazing smell good scent.




Ninth: Melt wax and pour. I did my candles in layers. So I melted all of my dark orange crayons and poured them, then I did the lighter oranges and yellows etc. As you can see my layers mixed on top because the the layer below was not completely hardened. I like the mix design though, but it's up to you how you'd like it to look.


Tenth: Wait for it to harden. I put mine in the fridge. This one has a swirl to it also. I think it looks neat!



Here you can see the layers through the sides.


Eleventh: Cut those wicks down!




All done!


So here is what I learned:
These candles don't burn.
You can imagine my disappointment. They would burn for about 15 seconds and that's it. Here are some reasons why they're not burning:
  • Avoid washable crayons, as they do not function nicely to make candles.
  • Unlike real candle wax, the crayons wax may not dissolve
  • If you create the candle totally from crayons it might not burn too well. The color pigment can stop the wick from burning. (tips from here)
There are some ways to mix the some crayons with real wax, so that the crayons are used for coloring the wax. We're gonna use these candles for our candle warmer. The essential oil I added smells really awesome. Another day in DIYing teaches you a lot. Hopefully this gave you some helpful pointers. And please, if your an expert at candle making, give me some tips! I'd love to make more candles.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You rock.

Popular posts from this blog

Recent work // October

DIY // Resources to build your blog

How to: Dry Flowers (and what to do with them)