HOW TO: Homemade paper mache fish!

What you'll need:




So the pan in this picture was by NO MEANS big enough. 

  1. Boil 2 cups of water
  2. Mix another 2 cups of cold water with flour
  3. Mix the cold and boiling water on the stove
  4. Bring back to a boil
I cannot remember how much flour I used. I'm thinking it was 2 or 3 cups.
(Note to self: Blog crafts RIGHT AFTER YOU DO THEM.)
I looked at a couple different sites and many of them mentioned putting a good smelly essential oil in it AND a bit of sugar.
So I poured a flower-y essential oil in the final pan and sprinkled sugar in it. THEN poured the boiled mixture in. And it smelled fantastic.
Paper Mache can keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 days after making it.


It looks really neat when it boils all together, I had to take a video.
video






And you'll need a place to hang every thing when it's wet. It takes a while to dry.








So here is my little station. I went ahead and cut up PLENTY of paper strips. Try and keep the mess on wax paper so it won't stick. I recommend laying a handful of strips in the batch of paper mache that way any left over strips aren't gunky. Wear gloves if you don't want to get messy. Then just place the paper strips on the balloon and smooth them out. 




Here's my balloon hanging outside. We have fishing line tied around trees in the backyard of previous projects. I let it dry outside until night then brought it in and realized that there were still damp spots. 







So, here's it all dried up! You can see my helper, Maggie, in the background.


 Next is cutting the balloon out. I just cut a hole were the tie of the balloon was exposed. I held onto the balloon and pulled. It came out pretty easily, though some pieces needed tugging.


Here's my fishy! I just hot glued the fins on.


 It ended up having a whole in the front, but luckily it looked like a mouth!
Hip Hip, Horray!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outfit # 61: Opportunity Cost

Outfit # 62: Remember Why

Book & Nail: Room by Emma Donoghue