HOW TO: Craft Dough

There's this neat recipe for making Christmas ornaments, and I really liked how simple it was to make and how cool everything could turn out. So, I made some! Here are the directions for making the dough (which is a lot cheaper than buying bake-able modeling clay). I'll narrate through the directions and let you know how I cheated, what I learned, and how things worked out.
I found these directions here!

Supplies:

4 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
1-1/2 cups of hot water
holiday cookie cutters 
decorations - glitter, paint, beads, etc.



So mine first came out really... gooky. But, if your an experienced baker (which I am not) than you know that adding more flour will help. I ended up going through a process of adding too much flour, adding water, pouring excess water out yadda yadda yadda until everything worked out. ALSO, I halfed the recipe completely and I had PLENTY to work with. If you have a couple babies then the recipe featured will be plenty. 
Oh, and I didn't use holiday cookie cutters. I just modeled the dough using hands, tooth picks, a steak knife, and spatula. 


Using a microwave-safe plate (not paper or cardboard), microwave a plate of your ornaments for 1 to 4 minutes, increasing the time by 1 minute increments and keeping a close eye on the microwave as the ornaments bake. Microwave power levels differ, so use high power in a less-powerful oven, but lower if your oven heats things very quickly. You don't want to risk a fire! Let ornaments cool completely before decorating.

When I first read this paragraph it kinda freaked me out. Risk of fire? (For those of you that don't know, fire and are frenemies) Anyway, the first one I did was my tester, and I did it just a instruction lady said. 1 minute. 
Is... is something burning?
My tester-dough had developed a big brown spot, AND IT SMELLED WRETCHED. 
From then on I cooked the dough-models in 15 to 30 second increments. It's easy to tell when it's baked fully
WARNING: DOUGH COMES OUT RIDICULOUSLY HOT.
Instruction lady didn't care to mention that.


So, that was all the instructions that I got, from then on it was all improvisation.


I put food coloring in some of my dough, just for fun. The rest of the non-color dough I'm painting or making it into jewelry... which will have to be featured in another post.


Say hello to my kitchen helper! This is Maggie Mae. She wags her tail excitedly while I whisk around the kitchen. She's my personal cheerleader... and sometimes jester. She has her own blog Adventures with MaggieMae. She's pretty weird.


Here's my pride and joy. I was pretty stoked when my mermaid was complete. I nervously took this picture because I knew putting her into the microwave my result in unwanted results. 
AND THEN...












This happened.
I really can't even explain my sadness. Maybe this will help...


Yes, this is my expression as I look at the one-armed mermaid...
But, wait! There is a solution!
Just a helpful hint using a little dot of dough to stick things back together works wonderfully. Just reheat the whole thing for about 10 seconds, it'll be good as new!

Mermaid
YAY!

And here are some other honorable mentions:

Breast Cancer Awareness



Soon to be painted necklaces


Leafy Mini-Sculpture


Stones Mini-Sculpture


Happy Crafting!


UPDATE:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY // Resources to build your blog

Recent work // October

Travel #TBT // Unicoi State Park